When it comes to brisket, don't risk it with a mediocre recipe... Use this recipe for a perfectly juicy and delicious brisket.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 pounds brisket cut beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- All-purpose flour (enough for a light dusting on the meat) or Potato Starch on Passover
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot that you can close with a lid.
- Rub meat with salt and pepper. Dust with flour.
- Place the meat in the hot oil and cook each side for a minute or so until it gets crispy and seals in the juiciness.
- Remove the meat and add the onion, carrot , and celery.
- Add wine, chicken broth and tomato paste. Add salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir to get the crispy bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Place the meat back in and cover. Turn heat to low and cook for 2-3 hours, or 50 minutes per pound of meat.
*Secret insider tip: Remove the meat and let it cool before slicing. It will cut much better! Save the juice and veggies, of course. You can reheat the meat before serving.