Did someone just say, "SUSHI-TASCHEN?!?!"
Good. So glad I heard that right.
Hamantashen are the filled, triangle shaped, official cookie of the Purim holiday. These cookies are named after the main villain in the Purim story, Haman. Hamantashen literally means Haman’s pockets and various symbolic meanings are ascribed to their triangular shape. The pockets allude to the bribes Haman took or perhaps his triangular ears or his three cornered hat. The filling, concealed inside the dough is supposed to symbolize the hidden presence of G-d throughout the Purim story, but never mentioned in the Megillah.
But who says it has to be a cookie?! This year we made these triangle-shaped sushi hamantashen.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 Sushi RollsServings
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup Kikkoman® Rice Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8-ounces sushi grade tuna
- ⅓ cup Kikkoman® Sriracha Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 4 sheets seaweed paper
- Pour rice into a large bowl and rinse in cold water. Drain and repeat 3-5 times.
- Transfer the rice to a pot and add the water. Mix, bring to a boil, cover, and then turn the heat down to a simmer for 15 minutes. Switch off the heat then allow the pot to rest for 10 minutes. Don't remove the lid during the cooking or waiting.
- While the rice is cooking, add the rice vinegar, sugar and salt to a bowl and mix until sugar dissolves.
- Loosen cooked rice with a rice spatula or wooden spoon. Place rice in a large, wide, shallow, non-reactive dish. Pour vinegar mixture evenly over rice and mix using a spatula in a cutting and folding motion. The vinegar seasoning must be mixed while rice is hot.
- Allow sushi rice to cool to room temperature.
- Finely chop tuna and mix with sriracha mayonnaise, and chopped chives.
- Place a seaweed sheet on your sushi roller.
- Using wet hands, scoop out rice and place evenly over surface of seaweed sheet. Place three spoonfuls of the spicy tuna in a line one third of the way up from the bottom of the sheet. Roll and shape into a triangle.