A tian is a French earthenware vessel and always filled with delicious vegetables. You can use an attractive casserole and make this gorgeous potato dish. Be sure to arrange the potatoes in a pretty pattern, because you will serve the dish in the pan it was cooked in.
To get the best results use a great quality extra virgin olive oil, we love Colavita.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 medium Russet potatoes, about 2 ½ pounds, peeled and sliced very thinly on a mandolin
- 2 large sweet potatoes, about 2 ½ pounds, peeled and sliced very thinly on a mandolin
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced very thinly
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- Several sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 to 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9X13 casserole with evoo.
1. Pick up a 3 inch stack of potatoes and arrange in a spiral pattern. Continue with all potatoes, forming an attractive spiral pattern, mixing and alternating sweet potatoes and Russets. Scatter garlic and thyme across potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Pour broth over potatoes. The broth should come up about 2-inches in the pan. Cover with foil and roast for 30 minutes.
3. Uncover and continue cooking until potatoes are browned on edges and crispy and broth has been absorbed, about 30 minutes more.