Since taco night is so popular it makes sense to have a twist on the favorite theme and turn it into a soup once in a while and just like our tacos we suggest you serve this soup DIY. Lay out all the toppings and let everyone make it their own.
You can make this meat or dairy, with or without the meat and add extra beans or veggies and garnish with cheese if there is no meat.
Instead of cabbage in the soup you can serve this Coconut Slaw on the side.
The leftovers will thicken so you can serve in a tortilla just like tacos.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken, turkey or lean beef
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 (15-oz.) cans pinto, kidney or black beans
- 3 cups salsa (homemade or store bought)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Serve with: lime juice, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, avocado, vegan cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add evoo, saute onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, until translucent. Add meat, cumin and chili powder, stir to coat. Add beans, salsa and broth.
- Bring heat up to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes or more.
- Meanwhile prepare all the toppings. Serve everyone their bowl of soup and let them garnish with toppings of choice.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 375
- Carbohydrate Content: 25.1 g
- Cholesterol Content: 70 mg
- Fat Content: 17.5 g
- Fiber Content: 5.8 g
- Protein Content: 32.7 g
- Sodium Content: 1444 mg
- Sugar Content: 6.1 g