Cooking traditional gefilte fish in a pepper tomato sauce makes for a tasty and unique way to serve gefilte fish. Served hot or cold, this appetizer comes together quickly when you start with a premade defrosted loaf of gefilte fish.
Instead of boiling and smelling up your kitchen, you just shape and bake.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 onion
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 loaf prepared frozen gefilte fish, defrosted in fridge
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups boiling hot water
- ¼ cup sugar
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F, grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
1. Sauté onions, peppers, and garlic for 3 minutes in a large sauté pan.
2. While vegetables are sautéing in pan, form gefilte fish into eight medium size patties. Place in 9x13-inch baking dish.
3. Add tomato paste, water, sugar, salt, and black pepper to sauté pan with peppers. Mix well.
4. Pour sauce over fish. Cover tightly with foil and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Cool and store in the fridge until ready to serve, at least 4 hours.