Need something to do with your leftover turkey? Try this Turkey Minestrone soup.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium red skinned potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1/4 cupdried split peas
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large ripe, plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped, cooked turkey meat
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is wilted, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in chicken broth. Raise heat and add potato, split peas, basil, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
3. Remove bay leaf. Stir in zucchini, tomato, cannellini beans, and turkey. Simmer, uncovered, another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Ladle into soup bowl. If using, sprinkle each serving with parsley.
This recipe is great for using up left over turkey. You can also use chicken if you prefer.