These stuffed peppers can be a meal all on their own, especially if you have any vegetarians at your table. Bulgur is 100% whole wheat that is specially formulated to cook quickly and is high in fiber and vitamin B6.
This recipe is based on the flavors in kibbeh, the traditional bulgur and beef bites that are fried. Here you get all the flavor with less work and more health benefits.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup raw bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup pine nuts, divided
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 large bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons raw 100% tahini
- 1 teaspoon Jamie Geller Sumac
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place bulgur and boiling water in a bowl and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
4. Add oil and sauté onions, garlic, and chilli until soft.
5. Add allspice, cinnamon, coriander, cilantro, salt, pepper, and most of the pine nuts and parsley (save some for serving).
6. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, remove from the heat, taste and adjust seasoning.
7. If after 30 minutes all the water has not been absorbed, strain bulgur.
8. Add bulgur and chickpeas to the onion mixture and stir to combine.
9. Fill peppers with bulgur mixture and place in prepared baking dish.
10. Bake at 350°F until heated through and just beginning to brown, about 20 minutes.
11. Drizzle 2 tablespoons tahini over peppers and sprinkle with sumac. 12. Bake for 5 minutes more.
Gluten Free: Swap quinoa for bulgur.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 220
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 500 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g