- 6-8 ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) jar apricot jam
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 whole chickens or 1 large pullet
- 2 (6.3-ounce) boxes rice pilaf mix, cooked according to package or use my rice pilaf recipe
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- 1/2-3/4 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, melt the margarine over medium heat. Add the onions and saute about 10 minutes or until onions are brown. Add the apricot jam and the wine to the pan; simmer 3-4 minutes or until jam is melted. Remove from heat; set aside.
Stuff the cooked rice pilaf into the cavity of the chickens or pullet. Don't overstuff; you may have some left over. Rub the garlic all over the skin of the poultry. Sprinkle with paprika and rub in.
Pour the onion mixture over the poultry and massage it all over the skin. Sprinkle with more paprika. Toss on the raisins, if desired, and the almond. Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, basting occasionally.