This is the easiest, best tasting challah in the entire world. This bread is so easy, there is literally no kneading, but you do need to plan ahead. It is best if you can prep it on Tuesday night so it has 3 days to chillax in the fridge before baking it up fresh on Friday.
Always make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil, we love Colavita.
If you got to this recipe and it's already Friday go ahead and make my super popular classic Challah recipe.
Looking for a healthier, 100% whole grain challah with all natural sweeteners? Sign up for our Fresh Families healthy meal plan today.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 (1 pound loaves)Servings
1. Combine flour, salt, yeast, water, eggs, sugar and evoo.
2. Mix until combined and then cover with lightly greased plastic wrap.
3. Allow mixture to sit at room temperature for 2 hours before refrigerating for up to 3 days, but for a minimum of 2 days (the flour needs that much time to form gluten strands to give the bread texture).
4. When you are ready to make challah, remove dough from refrigerator and braid as desired. Place braids on parchment lined baking sheets and cover with lightly greased plastic wrap.
5. Allow to rise at room temperature for 1-2 hours or up to 3 (a long rise is necessary for the dough).
6. Preheat oven to 350° F. Brush your challah with egg wash. Once your oven comes to temperature, brush on egg wash again.
7. Bake for 12 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake until 12 to 15 minutes more until golden brown and perfectly cooked.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.