My mother actually called this egg noodle stuffing "filling." I suppose that's because we all loved it so much we ate a lot of it and got filled up! I double the recipe.
If you like crispy stuffing, make this in a shallow baking dish; for moister stuffing use a deeper dish.
This is pareve but could be meat if you use chicken fat instead of melted margarine.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound barley shaped egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 10-12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons melted chicken fat or pareve margarine
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook the pasta al dente, drain and set aside.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally, or until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated and the mushrooms have softened.
5. Add the vegetables to the pasta and toss to distribute ingredients evenly.
6. Stir in the melted fat, eggs and salt and pepper. Mix well and spoon the mixture into a baking dish. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is browned and crispy.