Can’t get to Israel this winter? Make your own sachlav. Like a comfy pair of slippers, sachlav is a creamy drink thickened by ground orchid bulbs (our recipe is thickened with rice flour or cornstarch) and scented with vanilla and rose water. Sachlav is the perfect blank canvas for customizing. Add in cinnamon, dried fruits, and nuts and you have a first class ticket to Israel.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 vanilla bean scraped or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rice flour or cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon rose water
- Pinch of sea salt
- Garnishes: shredded coconut, ground cinnamon, finely chopped pistachios, finely chopped walnuts, raisins, dried cherries, chopped dried figs, chopped dates, cacao nibs
1. Simmer almond milk, sugar, vanilla bean, rice flour, rose water, and sea salt in a small saucepan over low heat, whisking constantly until hot and very thick, about 3 minutes. .
2. Serve in mugs and let everyone garnish and top as they prefer.