This Za'atar Focaccia recipe has some za'atar in the dough AND dusted on top. With the cherry tomatoes inside set inside the fluffy yet chewy dough, this recipe is set to impress!
Find out more about za'atar, where to buy it or how to make your own, plus more recipes to use za'atar.
We used three types of tomatoes here: red, yellow and those amazing greenish red ones that always look like they're straight from the garden.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 9 piecesServings
- 1 cup warm water
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons za'atar, plus 1 tablespoon for topping
- 4 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 ounces red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- Proof the yeast by adding the warm water, yeast, and sugar to a small bowl. Mix and allow yeast to activate.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt and za'atar. Mix.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil and yeast mixture. Mix again until a dough forms, the turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until the dough is smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Cover with your mixing bowl to trap in the steam and allow dough to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 430°F / 220°C. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a half-sheet baking tray (about 15x11 inches). Place the dough onto the tray and press and stretch the dough into the corners of the tray.
- Use your fingers to press holes into the dough.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top of the holey dough.
- Press the cherry tomatoes, sliced-side up, into the dough, all the way to the bottom of the pan. Then dust the the top with a generous amount of za'atar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until perfectly golden to your liking.