Instead of just baking your sweet potato, SMASH it!!!
You will love the texture of this cooking method and don't forget the flavorful spice mix, za'atar. All the ingredients in za’atar are full of flavonoids, organic compounds that are important dietary sources of antioxidants.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 tablespoons za’atar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Place whole sweet potatoes in the microwave for 10 minutes or until soft. Alternatively, place sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water and boil for 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Once potatoes are cooked, half crosswise and place on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Slightly smash each one, with a potato masher or a heavy can.
5. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with za’atar and salt.
6. Bake at 450°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until skins begin crisp slightly.
- Serving Size: 1/2 sweet potato
- Calories: 100
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 230 mg