One of the guiltiest pleasures out there. This dessert is so good it should be illegal! The crumb coating is equal parts frosted flakes and vanilla cookie crumbs but can easily be reinvented by subbing some or all of the cookies crumbs with crushed walnuts and/or coconut flakes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 Fried Ice Cream BallsServings
- 8 scoops Prestige homestyle vanilla ice cream, or your favorite flavor
- 1 cup crushed Winn-Dixie frosted flakes
- 1 cup Winn-Dixie vanilla wafer cookie crumbs
- 2 Winn-Dixie large eggs, beaten
- Winn-Dixe canola oil, for frying
- Winn-Dixie chocolate sauce, optional
- Winn-Dixie whipped cream, optional
- Winn-Dixie maraschino cherries, optional
1. With an ice cream scoop, form 8 large balls of ice cream. Place on a waxed paper lined sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
2. In a medium bowl combine the cornflake crumbs and cookie crumbs.
3. Working with one ice cream scoop at a time, dip into the crumb mixture. Use your hands to form the scoops into nice rounded balls and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
4. Working with one coated ice cream ball at a time, dip into the eggs, then roll in the crumb mixture, coating completely. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
5. Heat the oil in a large pot or fryer to 400 degrees F. One at a time, lower the balls into the oil and fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from the oil and place in a dessert bowl. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and whipped cream and finish with a cherry on top. Repeat with the remaining ice cream.
Recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse/Food Network, 2001