This neater, cleaner way to fry is also easier and healthier then traditional pan frying, yet achieves an incredible crunchy, toasty exterior. No more standing over a stove, great for large batch frying.
Use this same method to make Moroccan Cigars or Chicken Shnitzel.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 (1-lb.) medium russet potatoes, grated and squeezed dry
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 ℉. Pour ¼ cup evoo in a 15x10x1 baking pan. Place pan in oven for ten minutes until evoo is hot.
- In a medium bowl, combine grated potatoes, onions, egg, flour, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Remove hot pan from oven and scoop out ⅛ cup batter onto baking pan to make about 8 latkes.
- Place in oven and “fry” for 6 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove pan from oven, use a spatula to flip the latkes and cook an additional 4-6 minutes. Serve hot.