This recipe is heaven in a potato salad. Warm, crispy, creamy with a hint of heat – I have never tasted a better potato salad, ever!
It was all inspired by a visit to ETC Steakhouse in Teaneck NJ for my birthday a few years back. Among other things I ordered a Warm Tarragon Potato Salad and could not get it out of my mind. Crispy taters tossed in creamy dressing have been dancing around in my head, my thoughts, my dreams for what seems like years. This dish is all kinds of crazy good... Watch this easy how-to-video and learn how to make my new obsession in less than 3 minutes.
You will need half a cup of sauce per 2 pounds of potatoes. I like equal parts Horseradish sauce and mayo but feel free to play with the ratio to intensify the bite - even add white horseradish for more of a kick.
For the potatoes use a combo of red bliss and fingerling or even plain old Russets. You can dice the potatoes before or after boiling. And you can even boil the potatoes a day or two in advance of preparing the salad.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 1/4 cup Horseradish Sauce
- 1/4 cup regular or light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds cooked red bliss potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl place Horseradish Sauce and mayonnaise and mix to combine, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high to high heat. Once shimmering add potatoes in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd the pan or your potatoes won’t crisp, if necessary fry in batches.
- Leave the potatoes alone for a minute. Shake the pan, the potatoes should move freely. Shake the pan every minute or so to keep the potatoes from sticking. After about 5 to 7 minutes, once nice and brown on one side flip and repeat the process for another 5 to 7 minutes to brown the second side.
- Add the onions the last 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer hot potatoes and onions to the bowl with Horseradish Sauce. Toss to coat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm garnished with chopped fresh parsley leaves.